Thursday, January 24, 2013

Santa Fe's Top Running Trails - Poll

Rockin' the Spur Trail
Alright, so one of the functions I really enjoy about publishing to public access here has been building out a local trail map database (the Trails List Tab at the top of the page). We have a lot of cool stuff around Santa Fe that isn't mapped, isn't signed, isn't really official unless you can link it up with several other secret trail stashes and hidden trailheads. I used to be out there running around having the time of my life then I'd try later to explain to someone a jewel of a trail find or viewpoint that I'd seen and they wouldn't know what or where I was jabbering on about.

Solution - online trail map database.
Bam. That gets me fired up for some reason.

Picacho Peak from the Dorothy Stewart Trail
In any case, looking back on this last year I can see that eleven new trails were added to the listing. They're all first rate in my opinion, some are classics (Atalaya, Chamisa Trail, Wheeler Peak). When added to previous listings the database is now up to forty-two. Upon review of all this I noticed that I didn't have a section for summits and peak-bagging, so I've added one.  

All of this brings me to a topic I've always wondered about - which area trails are the consensus best running trails in town? The best running trails in northern New Mexico? Criteria would include aesthetics, variation, flow, ease of access. I like to climb and bust out hills on a lot of my runs, most people probably don't. Conversely, the Rail Trail is the flatest fastest trail in town but it's an out-and-back and lacks a bit in adventure and inspiration. Maybe people love nothing more than knocking out tempos out there, what do I know?

Arroyo Hondo Open Space
To find an answer to these lofty questions I'm posting a couple polls in the sidebar to the right there (h/t to Mike over at Dry Flies & Fat Tires). We're asking visitors to the Dirt to give us some feedback on what you consider to be the best area running trails with a short distance category and a long run/epic category. I imagine several reader suggestions may not be on the list in which case please write-in any deserving candidates that I left out in the comments below and I'll get them into the polls and try to add them to the database for 2013. I won't tip my hand on which ones are my personal favorites until we have enough votes to declare the collective favorites.

Related Links:
 - Santa Fe Area Trails List



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...